Wednesday, December 6, 2006

HUNTING GROUNDS

This Fall was spectacular, and although we didn't harvest any elk, we certainly saw some. The images from our hunt made such an impression on my memory, I thought that I would share some with you.

We had thirteen pack animals working for us this fall, twelve of which were mules. We often had a string of eight going. Working with such steady, powerful animals as ours is a wonderful feeling. Not all strings are so solid so we really appreciate our mules. All but one of our mules are girls. A fact that Becca and I are very proud of in this male dominated corner of the world. Since we pull our strings riding the bell mares, Cheyenne and Beauty, most of the time our two strings are all female.

One misty morning, a herd of cows, calves and spikes let us know that there were bulls around during our last week of rifle. They were all on the move though, part of their annual migration over into the Madison Valley. There were close to a hundred. They were all talking back and forth to each other making their eeeeoouw calls. This morning struck me as being very similar to sea gulls. Although I know that isnt true. Perhaps it was the size of the herd all communicating, or perhaps it was the mist distorting the sound, but it sounded like the seaside.


Then we saw this guy! He was pretty spectacular, all the more so, because we were only 40 yards from him and he couldn't have cared less. He was inside the boundary of Yellowstone National Park so he was safe. Even if he hadn't been, on that particular day I was only armed with my camera!

2 comments:

EcoRover said...

Hi Sarah and Becca, nice story and great pics of your hunting season. I have a friend who packs in a camp, but so far have not joined in the experience. I've worked out a bunch of good elk spots over the years, and just can't tie myself to one. Most mornings I'm not sure where I'm going until the truck turns off the payment onto some Forest road...

And thanks for the link to EcoRover. One of these days I'll figure out how to post links on my blog!

All good wishes. - Pat Munday

Amanda said...

Hello, I know this post is old but was wondering if you are originally from Montana or did you move there from somewhere else?