Wednesday, October 17, 2007

News Flash

Becca and I have been off the grid for the last few months. Becca has been busy with Hunting Camp. I was, until my husband carted me half way across the state to pastures new.

But here are some things that have discovered/done.

Safeway now has a new organics line of products, which means that I can buy as much organic produce in my local town which has one little Safeway as its only grocery store, in the heart of cowboy country. I know. Astounding.

Target now sells a range of organic cotton products such as sheets (which I bought today), towels and baby clothes. I LOVE it.

I bought a deer and elk tag, which has Jeremiah beaming from ear to ear. I told him not to get mad if I cry after I shoot an elk. He asked why I only eat wild game if I dont want to hunt. I said that I will hunt because I believe in hunting. I wanted to hunt, but it doesnt make it any less sad. I am trying to live according to what I believe. He looked confused.

Anybody else discovered any natural/organic and affordable things?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have a couple of very nice used clothing stores. I buy all my 9- 5 office attire (really just jeans & shirts that I never wear to muck stalls in)second hand. it is good to see more and more organic offerrings at our local food chain depots. this year I discovered environmentally Ok cleaning products.
I was very touched by your reaction to killing elk. I grew up raising our own meat and most of our vegitables and apples. I have not lived that life for 30 years. I suddenly started to wonder about the amount of meat I consume(almost every meal)I have asked myself if I would eat less meat if I had to kill it myself. Maybe it is extreme--but I think that perhaps removing the whole meat processing process to centralized mega plants was the beginning of this gluttony epidemic we now live in. It also takes respect for life out of the equation. When I bowed my head to say grace, as a 9 year old, over a slice of the little lamb that I spent the summer caring for I was not just thanking God for the provisions, I was thanking Snowflake for her obedient sacrifice under God's proclaimation that cloven hooved animals be used for food.

Editor said...

enjoyed your site, hope the hunting is going well